The Libyan Center for Tamazight Studies (ⴰⵎⵎⴰⵙ ⴰⵍⵉⴱⵉ ⵉ ⵜⵉⵣⵔⴰⵡⵉⵏⵏ ⵜⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ) was established by a decision of the Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research No. (247), 2014. Despite the failure of its financial procedures, an official announcement was declared during the scientific symposium on February 25, 2017 held at the Libyan Academy in Ghanzour, under the slogan of the Tamazigh Language from Oral to Writing (tutlayt n tamazivt seg wawal an tira). It was followed by another 4 symposiums in Tripoli tackling different topics related to Tamazight such as Tupunumia in Libya, the Libyan Theater, Feminist Writing in Tifinagh in the Desert of Libya, Tamazight and freedom of press, and a scientific conference in Kabaw on the Experience of Teaching Tamazight language in Libya. The Center also organized two workshops on: the dialectic of the use of Tifinagh or Latin alphabet in writing and the importance of examinations for teaching Tamazight language. The Center also, participated in a number of activities, including the Community-Based Tamazight-Normative Language, held in Yefren.
The approved organizing structure of the Center includes the Administration of Research and Studies composed of four departments:
- Department of Tubunomia and Archeology.
- Department of Linguistics and Acoustics.
- Department of Tamazight Arts and Heritage.
- Department of Education and Teaching Tamazight language.
The Vision: To become Tamazight a living reality in the academia.
The Mission: To promote the production of modern Tamazight publication and to expand its use.
The Objectives :
- Collect Tamazight variants “Dialects” in Libya to record and publish them.
- Encourage and support every researcher and student in Tamazight linguistics.
- Employ technology to serve Tamazight.
- Encourage scientific publication of all matters related to Tamazight language and culture.